Many business owners need assistance to help manage their workload and so, many choose to engage a personal assistant. However, have you ever thought of going virtual? Maybe not, if you’re not even sure what a Virtual Assistant is. It’s a growing industry among professionals, but the simple definition is:
A Virtual Assistant (or simply VA), is an independent contractor providing administrative, technical, or sometimes creative assistance to clients–usually to other independent entrepreneurs and solo and small business practices, such as that of a lawyer or realtor. Virtual assistants work from their own office (hence “virtual”), thus making it a fairly popular (and growing) profession.
Here are 14 reasons why a virtual assistant can be more beneficial to your business than employing a PA:
1. You know you require assistance but you cannot afford to employ someone
2. You do not have the time or resources to recruit, hire and train a personal assistant
3. Your company does not have the physical space to accommodate an assistant
4. The cost of recruitment and on-going wages is prohibitive
5. Engaging with a virtual assistant can offer flexibility to suit peaks and troughs in your business’ performance
6. Your business need only pay for the work you actually require
7. You need a greater array of skills than just one personal assistant will be able to offer you
8. The nature of your business means that you need a personal assistant with flexible working hours
9. You need to retain a certain level of professional discretion – sensitive information that should not be circulated within your company
10. Your business saves money by only paying for productive time
11. Your company will experience as increase in productivity as in-house staff have more time to complete their work
12. Virtual Assistant services offer increased flexibility
13. You will receive concentrated, dedicated assistance
14. Good-quality virtual assistants should be trained; therefore, you will not need to train them yourself
So basically, why do people hire virtual assistants?
A lot of people wonder how virtual assistants stay in business. I mean, if you need an assistant, why not just hire someone to work at your business full time?
It’s pretty simple, really. It comes down to money and convenience. A full-time administrative assistant can cost anywhere from $35,000 to $50,000 or more (based on data at Salary.com). That’s not even including benefits and bonuses. That’s a hefty price to pay if you don’t need someone around all the time or if you only need their help on a few projects.
A successful virtual assistant is capable of working for multiple clients at the same time. So you can hire them to work for only the hours or tasks that you need them for. If you just need someone for five or so hours a week to take phone calls while you’re in meetings or onsite with a customer, they can do that. If you need them to work more hours one week, they can usually accommodate that. And if for some reason you need to save some cash, depending on the kind of contract you have with them, you can usually just discontinue their services until you’ve got the cash to afford it.
Working with a VA is a win-win for everyone!